auto | RV | health | life
Fort Pulaski National Monument - Georgia
About 15 miles east of Savannah driving towards Tybee Island lies Fort Pulaski National Monument, which was a brick and stone fortress named for Revolutionary War hero, Casimir Pulaski. It was completed in 1848. The then governor of Georgia, Joseph Brown (in a display of states rights) actually had federal troops removed from Fort Pulaski prior to the start of the Civil War, which the Confederates then occupied.
Confederate volunteers had earlier burned the wooden steps and the landings to the Tybee Island Lighthouse in an attempt to keep it from being used by Union troops. The Union soldiers, nonetheless, repaired the structure and kept watch on Fort Pulaski. The area around Savannah includes two other forts (Fort Jackson and Fort McAllister) which were used to protect the city from all angles of attack. Fort Jackson is the oldest remaining fort in Georgia. Fort McAllister, located south of Savannah, is the best preserved example of Confederate earthen fortifications.